8.11.2009

Setting the record straight

Because I'd been hearing that maybe people thought I didn't actually have cancer, I thought I better explain. This is the easiest cancer I can imagine having because it has not spread. (The terminology for that is either "in situ" or "Stage Zero.")

I did a bunch of internet searching for Lobular Carcinoma In Situ (LCIS) when I first got the diagnosis 7/20. A lot of the info seemed to be saying it's not cancer. Huh? Then what does "carcinoma" mean? After talking to the pathologist and the surgeon I must say it's still not black and white. It's considered by some to be not cancer because it hasn't spread from the lobe. But I was also told there are different definitions of cancer. Which leaves me in a gray area.

Bottom line, my surgeon says that no matter what, if I'm ever "in a group where the leader asks who has had breast cancer to raise their hand," I'm one of the ones who get to raise their hand. That seems pretty clear, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment