7.22.2009

Taking advantage of cancer


This is a riot. I'm basically a hedonist (i.e. kinda lazy) who would rather read than do anything. So up comes cancer and now all of a sudden I have an excuse! "Ohhhh, I just am too tired." Or, "Life is meant to be playful, not drudgery....I can do the dishes next week." Really, it might be next week at the rate I'm going. Next to my sink is a very neat grouping of stacks of dirty dishes that hearken back 4 days. I feel absolutely no guilt, either. It's pretty fun. Is this a lesson about 'shoulds?'

If so, then I really do love cancer. (ewwww....that sounds sick...) But, really, I do love it if it means I can learn and truly internalize some new belief systems that work better. We all keep hearing about how shoulds are unnecessary and probably harmful, but does that make us stop acting should-ish? No, not me, anyway. Shoulds are so fricking insipid, hard to recognize, and camouflaged as responsible behavior. But here this beautiful demon comes along and automatically melts away that which does not serve. I for one want to take advantage of that.

I said the other night that I had some immediate demonstrations of such meltings and that I would talk about them later. Here's one: I had been spending a lot of time thinking and dreaming about the new camera I want....instead of aiming for a step above my current one, I was looking in an uppermore stratosphere. I kept reading about it, looking for sales, and hovering over it at Costco. But Monday night a camera thought crossed my mind and I had absolutely no attachment to it. I was pretty surprised. Asked myself where all the passion went. Then it hit me and a grin grew on my face as it dawned on me what was going on: the petty and the material were losing stature. And that's something I've been striving for, so doesn't that sound like a good thing!

New subject: I want to put off any surgery until the weather cools off. My apartment is an oven and I have summer hot flash-itis. That makes for a miserable sounding time to spend laid up in a bed that's in an oven, right? So, if no-one else is in a hurry I don't think I will rush this.

THESE PICTURES

I am pretty comfortable with my relationships with inanimate beings so I told my daughter the other night, Lara, that she shouldn't worry about me being alone. Here are my friends Tom the Mug, George, and Beebee Bear. You can just tell how close we all are, can't you? And there are my dishes, patiently waiting.

wtf....i uploaded 3 pictures but only one is showing. any blogspot people know what's wrong? Plus, I lose my paragraphs and have to go back to edit to add some returns. This didn't used to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment