7.20.2009

Day one: DIAGNOSIS

Last month I had my annual mammogram with some "suspicious" results so had a follow-up x-ray that zoomed in on the area. They still didn't like what they saw (calcifications) so scheduled me for a biopsy. I truly expected it to be a formality to rule out cancer because of the low probability of cancer from calcifications (15%). Also because I had some old scar tissue in that area which could've been the cause of the calcifications.

Well, today my wonderful doctor, Suzy Adams, called to give me the news that it really is cancer. Wow! Fortunately my friend, Susan, a breast cancer survivor herself, happened to be sitting right in front of me when I got the call. After I hung up, Susan and I brainstormed for a couple of hours and she clarified some points for me. Extremely lucky, wouldn't you say?

Dr. Suzy is calling my surgeon, Dr. Chris Griffith, tomorrow to set up my first appointment. She says he's the best in Olympia....glad to hear that! (For those of you whom I told that he was an oncologist: wrong Dr. Griffith. The one I'm seeing is the surgeon Dr. G.)

The only 2 things I know right now are that it is very early stage and it is in situ, which simply means it is non-invasive, a good thing.

I've already come up with some benefits of a cancer diagnosis: friends will visit and cook for me. I have an excuse to watch lots of funny movies. I just got invited to a salmon BBQ just so I could meet a breast cancer survivor. (It can always be said of me that I will find the good side of a mud puddle if anyone can, and that certainly isn't going to be any different now.)

Right away it occurred to me to start a blog. Why? I will be better able to keep track of all the information that will be coming my way. People can find out about my progress. It helps me to write about stuff. And most of all, I'd really like to hear from people....not only words of support from my current buddies, but from any other breast cancer survivors referred here to talk about what to expect. So feel free to share my address with others. The more the better! I refuse to go through this alone! Thanks!

Susan says these are questions to ask the doctor:
  1. how many tumors are there?
  2. where are they?
  3. has the cancer gone into the lymph nodes?
  4. how much area needs to be removed safely?
  5. what kind of cancer is it exactly?
Any other questions I should be asking?

HELP
If you're wondering how you can help: I will be looking for a few people to take turns staying at my apartment with me. Susan assures me that I will not be able to do everything for myself just yet. I probably will also need a coordinator who can keep track of helpers. Maybe not....but am putting it out there just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment